Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Gluten Free Zenzai

One of my favorite comfort foods from childhood turns out to be gluten free.
It is called zenzai and depending on the region of Japan is served in different ways.
The sweet treat is traditionally served cold in the summer and hot in the winter. It is often served during the New Year.

Zenzai is basically a bean and rice soup. In Okinawa, the term "zenzai" commonly refers to this bean soup served over shaved ice with "mochi" I like shiruko, a type of zenzai, when the soup base is prepared to a medium thickness - not too thick and not too watery. There are recipes on the web for zenzai & shiruko, but I prefer to start my "soup" using a prepared red bean paste. My favorite brand is Shirakiku which makes the red bean paste with no artificial colorings or preservatives. For me, a bowl of steaming zenzai with mochi is heaven.

I am always amazed how different cultures use similar ingredients and come up with completely distinct tastes and flavors. It is delicious, but couldn't be more dissimilar to savory Mexican inspired beans and rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers